Hey lovelies! I was looking back on what books I’ve read in the first half of the year and decided I wanted to make myself a few goals for the second half of the year. So far, I’ve read 45 books out of my Goodreads goal of 50, but I don’t think I’ll raise the number because I don’t want to put more pressure on myself. Here are the goals I’ve set for myself for the second half of the year:
- Read 30-40 books: As I said before, I read 45 books in the first half of the year. I’d love to read about the same amount, but I’d be extremely happy reading anywhere between 30 + 40 books in the second half!
- Read more sequels: I mentioned this is my Mid-Year Book Freakout Tag post but I haven’t read a lot of sequels this year! Most of the books I’ve been reading have been contemporary- which is good because they’re standalones, but I’d still like to read some more sequels.
- Read more diverse sci-fi & fantasy books: Again, as I just said, most of the books I’ve read this year have been contemporary & I really love reading sci-fi and fantasy, so I’d like to read more of that in this second half of the year!
- Step out of your reading comfort zone more often: One of my overall goals for 2017 was to read more books I wouldn’t normally read- whether that be genres I don’t usually read or reading adult or middle grade. I’ve done okay with this in the first half of the year, but I’d like to go even better in the second half. I especially want to read more adult books but I’m always so intimidated by them.
- Read at least one adult fantasy book: This may seem like a weird goal, especially since it’s similar to my goal of stepping out of my comfort zone, but I’ve been really wanting to start more adult fantasy and have been too intimidated to start. (If y’all know any adult fantasy books that are good to start with, definitely recommend them to me in the comments).
- Finish a series: Similar to reading more sequels, I want to finish some series in the second half of 2017. I own the second & third book in the Darker Shades of Magic trilogy that I could definitely read in the second half of the year. Also, Immortal Reign, the 6th and final book in the Falling Kingdoms series releases in December, so if I can get my hands on that relatively quickly, I can finish that as well. I’ve always had a bad habit of starting series and never finishing them. I want to try to change that a little this year.
- Stay active in blogging, even through reading slumps: This is mainly just because I went like two months without blogging because I was in a reading slump and I don’t want to do that again. It’s important to me to write reviews for most, if not all, of the books I read so I can recommend them, people can know what I like & dislike. Blogging also takes up a bit of time, which is great at the moment because I am currently unemployed and my boyfriend is away for a month. So.
- Cut down your book buying: I think this will be an easy one for now, especially since I don’t actually have money I can afford to spend on lots of books at the moment. When I do get a job though, I want to try to do like a “read 2, buy 1” sort of book buying ban (unless it’s a 2017 book I’m highly anticipating/a sequel).
- Use the library more often (but don’t take too many books out at once): I have a library just down the road now, which is really great. Especially since we have a pretty great system up here where you can place a hold on books to be transferred from other libraries in the network to your local library. We also have a couple different places we can borrow ebooks/audiobooks, and I want to use & support my local library more in this half of the year. I need to be more sensible with how many books I take out at once because in the first half of the year, I took too many out at one time and overwhelmed myself. I might limit myself to 4 at a time- including physical, ebooks & audiobooks.
- Don’t stress if you don’t complete all of these goals: I love setting myself goals, but I also get disappointed in myself if I don’t meet them. Especially when I set a page number goal or when I want to finish a book- if I don’t complete those goals I’m always disappointed. But reading & being in the community is all about fun, so whilst it’s cool to have these little goals, I also need to be realistic and not force myself to read books I may not want to read purely so I can fit a goal I’ve set for myself.
Well, that all of the goals I can think of that I have for myself for the second half of the year! How are your overall goals for 2017 coming along? Have you set any specifically for the second half of 2017? If so, what are they?
Thanks so much for reading!